Sunday, October 17, 2010

Salad For Diet



When I used to be a 100% meat eater, I'd eat salads for fun, and usually only when I went to a restaurant. I didn't care what the salad was made of, just pile on the creamy blue cheese dressing so high I can't see anything green. Obviously, the calories and fat in a salad quickly rise if you load on creamy rich salad dressings.

Today I keep my salads low in calories and fat by purchasing only fat free, diet salad dressings. I can make my own, but I never do because the temptation to cheat is too much for me. I also like to have many different dressings to avoid the routine of the same salad every day.

If you like to make your own salad dressings, make a large batch and keep it in a jar in the refrigerator. Use a healthy liquid vegetable or olive oil and mix this with a flavorful vinegar or fresh lemons, limes, or oranges.

On the other hand, a salad can be a very healthful choice. Some good choices are:

Dark leafy greens although iceberg is okay too.

Raw vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, green pepper (or any other color pepper), celery, radishes, and onions.

A low fat or vinaigrette dressing (raspberry vinaigrette has big flavor without having a lot of calories).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...