Thursday, October 21, 2010
Easy Ways to Fight Cholesterol
Follow these steps :
1. Increase the amount of soluble fibre in your diet by eating more whole grains - eg wholemeal bread, high fibre breakfast cereals
2. Reduce saturated fat in your diet - mainly found in beef, pork and lamb. Skin on poultry also has a very high concentration of saturated fat
3. Load up you plate with fruit and vegetables which contain essential nutrients for optimum health; including plant statins that help to lower cholesterol. Aim for at least 5 portions per day
4. Top up the garlic in your meals
5. Use olive oil to cook with - remember, although olive oil is better for your heart than other cooking fats, it still contains as many calories!
6. Increase the amount of Omega 3 in your diet by eating oily fish such as herrings, kippers, sardines and pilchards. Remember if they're tinned try to get them in brine, not oil.